[cl-gtk2-devel] Various issues with using CL-GTK2 as Lisp UI

Jos Dassen jmhdassen at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 13:06:21 UTC 2010

Hi,

I want to use Common Lisp for an application I want to build and I need a good GUI.
I looked at CLIM, CL-GTK2 and Cells-GTK. All of them have issues and for the moment I have decided to try to continue with CL-GTK2.
But right now I am stuck. I need a menubar with menus and a graphics pane, but I have not found a way yet to get them both.

1. When I make the GUI with Glade-3 and use cl-gtk2 builder, I get the basic GUI right. But I have not managed to create a Cairo surface which would allow me to use Cairo for my graphics.
My GUI has a GtkDrawingArea widget, but using 'builder-get-object' I do not know how convert this to a Cairo surface. I have seen the cairo.demo.lisp, but this does not give me a clue on how to proceed. Anybody can help me with this ??

2. When I try to make the GUI without Builder I get stuck with the menus. There is no example available on how to build a menubar with menus and menu items. The cl-gtk2 menu commands by themselves do not give me enough of a clue. Ideally I would like to use UI-Manager, but here again the example is for toolbars and not for menubars. Can anyone provide me with an example of building a menubar with CL-GTK2 ??

Cheers,

Jos Dassen