[cl-gtk2-devel] Odd hangs when resizing

Maciej Katafiasz mathrick at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 02:24:01 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm hitting (and have been, it just took me forever to identify the
cause) an odd bug. Namely, if I ever resize or hide (that includes
minimising or switching to another desktop) a CL-GTK2 window, the
whole thing hangs. That is, the GTK+ part stops being responsive at
all, and Lisp is pretty wedged too, with slime-threads view failing to
work, etc. As soon as it tries to touch the GTK+ main loop, it hangs
too, although the main thread in *inferior-lisp* and SLIME thread
remain responsive. Still, I have to restart it to get it back in
order.

Needless to say, this kind of bug makes it rather impossible to do
anything. Has anyone else seen anything like that? The test is
trivial, just run the gtk-hello example and minimise and restore the
window. For me it comes back completely gray and stops responding to
anything. The same happens actually any time the window loses focus at
all. I'm utterly stumped, as I have no idea how to debug it. It's
impossible to touch it from the Lisp side, and trying to attach GDB to
SBCL ends with SBCL dying, which doesn't help matters.

Now, a bunch of info about my system:
- SBCL 1.0.31 from ubuntu, but it happened before too
- cl-gtk2 updated all the way up to a0010ebc6fed79a09ca3da43d84fea224312ee37
- GTK+ 2.18.3-1ubuntu2.2

If you have any idea how to tackle it, I'm dying to hear. I have code
to write, and I can't get anywhere while this is broken.

Cheers,
Maciej