[cl-gtk2-devel] Build problems

Kalyanov Dmitry kalyanov.dmitry at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 18:53:18 UTC 2009

On Суббота 04 июля 2009 22:22:17 you wrote:
> Thank you for informing me of these new developments.
>
> I am happy to report that CL-GTK2 builds just fine on my Ubuntu 8.10 box.
> In addition, the examples seem to work as well.

That's great news!

> I think I will enjoy playing with this library (and making some GUI
> applications that don't rely on Tk).  I was surprised to see that the
> examples spawn a new thread, any reason for that?

The primary reason is because of the desire to have the REPL: if GUI is on
another thread, then REPL is "alive" whlie the GUI is running, you can
manipulate objects, redefine functions, etc. and have the GUI respond to
changes (not to all kinds of changes, of course, but e.g. you can redefine the
function that is called by GUI without having to close windows and restart
application).

This is somewhat explained in recently updated version of tutorial at
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-gtk2/tutorial.html (in the "Main loop"
section).

As far as I know, the only problem this creates is the requirement that the
lisp must be multi-threaded. As for SBCL and Clozure CL on Linux, CCL on Mac,
Allegro it should work fine (don't know about clisp)

> Also, I will give a stab at getting this to build against the OS X GTK
> framework I recently installed.  Perhaps I can increase the number of
> platforms this works on.

I guess that on OS X it should work. I am not so sure about Windows, however;
it will require some work.