[cl-gd-devel] Loading Images from Pointers

Christoph Senjak christoph.senjak at googlemail.com
Wed May 19 21:51:56 UTC 2010

Hello.

> Have you made sure that the version of GD you are using is compatible
> with the GD docs you pointed to?  I haven't looked at GD for quite
> some time, but judging from the URL in your initial email, current GD
> seems to use names which are different from the ones used in CL-GD, so
> if CL-GD works for you otherwise, you probably don't have the newest
> version of GD.

CL-GD works (so far), but the page seems not to be up to date, I have
the package libgd-xpm-dev from ubuntu, and /usr/include/gd.h contains
the line

#define GD_VERSION_STRING "2.0.36"

which is, according to that site, a prerelease, which I cannot really
believe since its in a stable ubuntu release. And it also contains the
line

BGD_DECLARE(gdImagePtr) gdImageCreateFromGifPtr (int size, void *data);

But you are right ... cl-gd is not compatible (I should have done the
tests on the same computer I did the other stuff):

CL-USER> (cl-gd-test:TEST )
Test 1 failed with the following error: Attempt to call an undefined
alien function.
Test 2 failed with the following error: Attempt to call an undefined
alien function.
Test 3 failed with the following error: Attempt to call an undefined
alien function.
(...)

So ... well ... how hard would it be to make it compatible with the
new version? Is it just changing a few naming-strings, or more
complicated? I have lisp-magick working now, its just not very well
maintained, but if cl-gd is outdated, then maybe I will write my own
FFI-Binding for GD directly, or keep working with a patched version of
lisp-magick (or do the image-processing in CL directly).

Regards, Christoph