[cl-gd-devel] Premature loading of GD library can cause problems

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Dec 17 23:33:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:17:23 +1100, Alain Picard <Alain.Picard at memetrics.com> wrote:

> Does anybody have an opinion on this situation?

Hi Alain,

the situation you're encountering is basically just a "historical"
remnant.  If you'll search the UFFI mailing list archives from around
2005, you'll find out that I was the one who modified UFFI to make
application delivery without hard-coded paths even possible.  You can
now (in UFFI) specify a library simply as "foo.so" or "foo.dll" and it
will be searched for in the operating system's standard locations.

However, I had written CL-GD a) before I made this change and b) even
before I started to use LispWorks as my main Lisp.  And I haven't used
CL-GD much since.

So, yes, if you want to send a patch to a) defer loading of the
library and to b) make the location of the library something the OS
should take care of, I'm all for it - please send a patch.  I'm just
too busy right now to fix this myself and, as I said, this doesn't
have very high priority for me.

Thanks,
Edi.

http://weitz.de/patches.html