[chicago-lisp] Hello!

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Sat Mar 5 18:10:08 UTC 2005

Brian Mastenbrook wrote:
> Thanks for the experience. The Common Lisp community moves rapidly these
> days, and you may not find it as impractical (ha!) as it used to be. For
> starters, we have discovered lowercase letters, and write "Lisp" or
> "Common Lisp" (abbreviated to CL) :-)

I still can't bring myself quite to using Lisp (instead of LISP) ;-)

> I would suggest you look at this guide to getting set up to learn Common
> Lisp: http://www.unmutual.info/startingwithcl.html . The book that is
> recommended there, Practical Common Lisp (
> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/ ), is quite an excellent text and
> available both in an upcoming hardcopy version and in full text online.

I'm familiar with that; I hadn't realized how far along he had gotten now...

I have "On Lisp", and "The Common Lisp Cookbook", as well as the printed
Common Lisp Specifications (green book, outdated, pre-standard).  I
never realized how readable a standard could be....

> If you start with these resources I can pretty much promise that
> learning modern CL will be enjoyable and very practical.

Best thing is to get a LISP and start hacking on it.  I picked up over
the years PLISP for the Apple II and TI PC-Scheme - and finally clisp
and SBCL.  I never did much until I started working with SBCL.

--
David Douthitt
UNIX System Administrator