Would love some feedback on wip feature

Frank Goenninger frgo at me.com
Thu Oct 6 09:28:33 UTC 2016

Sorry if I missed some bit of info, but:

> Am 06.10.2016 um 11:09 schrieb Stelian Ionescu <sionescu at cddr.org>:
>
> [...]
>> So my closing question is: If I want to be able to use shared-object
>> files with my lisp libraries what is the correct asdf way for this to
>> be done? Given that:
>> - The shared-object file is not available through any package manager
>> - people should be able to just quickload the project and start working
>> - I need to support osx/linux/windows so I will be including a
>> selection of .so/dll/dylib files.
>> - Requiring every user to have a C compiler set up on their machine is
>> not acceptable.
>
> Requiring those who compile the app to have a C compiler is the reality of today's operating systems, whether you find it palatable or not.
> If you decide to fight against this you'll probably end up creating more problems than you solve, and for little gain.

Hm - I’d just use dlopen, dlsym (or the like on Windows) to load the shared library and access functions etc. That’s what CFFI does - so why not use it. This doesn’t require a C compiler. You’d need CFFI though, not only ASDF. Or just mimic (read: reimplement) the CFFI functionality.

;; Frank