Unable to load cffi-libffi in Debian jessie

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat May 2 06:10:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Marshall Mason
<marshallmason2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to cffi and Lisp in general. I've been having a lot of trouble
> getting cffi to work with passing structs using libffi. I fussed with it for
> weeks and decided to wait until I upgraded Debian to jessie to see if that
> helped. Now I can't even load cffi-libffi. :(
>
> Failed to find the TRUENAME of
> /usr/share/common-lisp/source/cl-cffi/libffi/init.lisp:
>   No such file or directory

Looks like cl-cffi wasn't packaged properly and doesn't include libffi.

> Before that there are a bunch of warnings like this:
>
> compiling #<STATIC-FILE "alexandria" "LICENCE"> completed without its input
> file #P"/usr/share/common-lisp/source/alexandria/LICENCE"

This shouldn't prevent things from working, but indicates debian needs
a more recent version of alexandria.

> This could just be a missing package, but I have everything I can think of.
> I searched the Debian respository for
> /usr/share/common-lisp/source/cl-cffi/libffi/init.lisp and none of them
> provide it. Here are my package versions:
>
> sbcl 2:1.2.4-2
> cl-cffi 1:0.14.0-1
> cl-asdf 2:3.1.4-1
> libffi6 3.1-2+b2
> libffi-dev 3.1-2+b2

In general, debian cl packages are not very well maintained. You might
have better luck with quicklisp — you may want to deinstall
non-working debian packages so they don't shadow quicklisp's working
ones.

The least deviation from truth will be multiplied later.
        — Aristotle