[Cffi-devel] pkg-flags (was: Re: Cannot load cffi-libffi)

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 22:16:42 UTC 2014

OK, so I see two needs for pkg-flags here then.

1. finding headers that aren't in the standard locations and wouldn't
otherwise be found.
2. finding headers for a specific version of a library.

I think the current committed behaviour works nicely for use case #1.
Use case #2, which you've raised, suggests that ignoring a missing
pkg-config is a bad default. What about adding making it an option?

Also, if we're going to cater to use case #2, then perhaps we should
support a list of alternatives à la define-foreign-library. What do
you think?

Finally, how about renaming the directive to pkg-config-cflags? (I can
sort of imagine we might want a pkg-config-lfags for wrappers at some
point in the future.)

--
Luís Oliveira
http://kerno.org/~luis/