[cffi-devel] Round trips through parse-type, unparse-type

Liam Healy lnp at healy.washington.dc.us
Sat May 5 15:40:17 UTC 2012

I just pushed fixes to make the FSBV tests pass.  One fix was to the
recursive call to libffi-type-pointer that took the slot-type directly,
already unparsed, and tried to unparse it.   I fixed that by parsing it
again.  In the course of debugging this, I found this comment in defclass
foreign-struct-slot
 ;; FIXME: the type should probably be parsed?
I briefly investigated doing this, and decided to take the expedient route
for now.

However, this comment got me to thinking that there are a lot of
(unnecessary) round trips through parse-type/unparse-type.  It seems to me
that they could be eliminated or reduced.  Perhaps as a design philosophy,
we should only have parsed types internally, and then we won't need
unparse-type at all?   Changing this would be a lot of work, I realize.

Liam