[cffi-devel] CFFI and Allegro common lisp

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Jan 5 21:28:44 UTC 2012

On 1/5/12 Jan 5 -3:19 PM, Frank Goenninger wrote:
> Am 05.01.2012 um 22:13 schrieb Luís Oliveira:
>
>> Hello John,
>>
>> git blame says you sent us a patch to add long-long on Allegro on
>> 64-bit platforms. Robert says that isn't quite working. Do you have
>> any recollection of any limitations of this long-long support or
>> something like that?
>>
>> Meanwhile, I'll revert the patch:
>> <https://github.com/cffi/cffi/commit/80a06643361af383cadcbb7232ba3d73b828a96d>
>> unless you have some objection since I don't have access to a 64-bit
>> ACL.
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
>>> I am pretty certain that *no* version of Allegro supports :long :long.
>>> I have verified this on 64-bit ACL for both Mac OS X and Linux.  So I
>>> would strongly urge you to record that ACL has no-long-long.
>

> Hm - why not check back with Franz? I had the impression ACL 64bit *does* support long long. Any specific tests I could run that would convince all of us ? (I do have 64bit ACL on Windows).

The manual says not.  If you look at the list of primitive types at this
page:

http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/8.2/doc/ftype.htm#primitive-types-1

Here's a snippet from their foreign types grammar:

primitive-type :=   :fixnum
                    :int
	            :long
	            :short
	            :char
		    :void
	            :unsigned-int
	            :unsigned-long
	            :unsigned-short
	            :unsigned-char
                    :float
                    :double
                    :nat
                    :unsigned-nat

It should be pretty easy for you to test this on your version --- an
unmodified version of the CFFI tests will crash on ACL for Mac OS X and
Linux (64 bit).  So if you try to run the tests, you should see the same
behavior, unless Windows offers :long :long where the other two
platforms don't.

Looks like the only 8 byte quantity is :double for ACL.