[cffi-devel] 64bit hosts without multilib

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Jan 4 02:37:50 UTC 2012

On 1/3/12 Jan 3 -7:49 PM, Luís Oliveira wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Elias Pipping <pipping at lavabit.com> wrote:
>> Checking for /lib/ld-linux.so.2 would be one possibility.
>
> That would only take care of Linux. I'm afraid my Makefile-fu is weak
> and I don't see an obvious way to fix this. I've registered this bug
> here: <https://bugs.launchpad.net/cffi/+bug/911557>.

I am not anything like an expert in C compiling, but doesn't autoconf do
something to test for precisely this kind of situation?  I believe it
simply tries some trivial compilations or linkings and checks for
failure.  Could we adopt a solution like this for CFFI?  Could we use an
AC_CHECK_LIB test, cunningly written for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows to
figure out whether 32-bit, 64-bit or both are supported?  (does autoconf
even work on windows? I have no idea...)

For the mac, this stack overflow item seems helpful:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/612672/detecting-32-vs-64-bit-intel-cpu-on-mac-using-autoconf

Hope that's helpful,