[cffi-devel] Converting foreign structures with CFFI generic functions

Liam Healy lnp at healy.washington.dc.us
Thu Sep 8 16:30:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Frank Goenninger <frgo at me.com> wrote:
>> May I vote for DEFCSTRUCT-BY-VALUE as its name?
>
> I agree that DEFCSTRUCT* is a lousy name, but DEFCSTRUCT-BY-VALUE is
> misleading, since there's more going on. How about
> DEFINE-FOREIGN-STRUCTURE. In any case, the idea is to deprecate
> DEFCSTRUCT.
>
> Suggestions on how to best handle backwards-incompatible API changes
> like this are most welcome.
>
> --
> Luís Oliveira
> http://r42.eu/~luis/

Why not defcstruct (suitably enhanced, of course) for everything?  I
don't want to preclude calling by reference those foreign structures I
also need to call by value.  So something that's called exclusively by
reference should work too.  If an application which only calls by
reference doesn't want to use the translators, we can leave them
undefined.