[cffi-devel] CFFI foreign library error pathname patch

Anton Kovalenko anton at sw4me.com
Sun Dec 18 13:36:51 UTC 2011

Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> writes:

>>> OK, and so you'd like to get a hold of
>>> "/maybe/some/path/to/libfoo.so.x" or whatever. Hmm, so maybe in
>>> try-foreign-library-alternatives we could store the first alternative
>>> since that should usually be something like "libfoo.so.x".
>>
>> It would be nice to have all the alternatives.
>
> We could store the definition s-exp.

[...]

> In this case, the error's LIBRARY-SPECIFICATION slot (or something
> along those lines), could hold a string, a pathname, or s-exps whose
> CARs are one of :OR, :DEFAULT, or :FRAMEWORK.

When we want to provide a restart for automatic library installation,
the most useful thing is a list of *all pathnames actually tried*.

We know that before the error is signalled, every pathname possible (for
current implementation's feature set) has been tried. Collecting them
along the way shouldn't be hard.  And I can't think of an
"auto-installer" (or anything external to CFFI) for which the details of
*why* those pathnames were used are somehow relevant.

(OTOH, :framework looks like an ugly special case w.r.t. my suggestion
above)

--
Regards, Anton Kovalenko <http://github.com/akovalenko/sbcl-win32-threads/wiki>
+7(916)345-34-02 | Elektrostal' MO, Russia