[cffi-devel] Static vectors suitable for FFI

John Fremlin jf at msi.co.jp
Thu May 7 02:00:27 UTC 2009

Stelian Ionescu <stelian.ionescu-zeus at poste.it> writes:

> Attached is an implementation for SBCL. make-static-vector only
> allocates instances of (simple-array (unsigned-byte 8) (*)) but that can
> be extended to other unboxed arrays.
> The current sharable vector interface doesn't work very well because it
> doesn't allow me for instance to pin a list of vectors, but only a
> single vector at a time. Also, I'd prefer to avoid pinning at all given
> how it interferes with the GC.

Thanks Stelian!

This would be really useful as the pinning business with
shareable-byte-vectors is a real nuisance.

If the current shareable-byte-vector interface is going to be reworked
can I suggest that we allow (at least) simple-array
single-float/double-float as well? Why not just allow all unboxed array
types the underlying Lisp supports? . . . Or a limited sensible subset?

Having portable unboxed C-sharable float arrays would be great for our
numeric work.

I should be very happy to make the Allegro CL interface.