[cffi-devel] Performance of CFFI:PARSE-TYPE

Hans Hübner hans at huebner.org
Fri May 30 19:08:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Hans Hübner <hans at huebner.org> wrote:
>> Every invocation of FOREIGN-STRING-ALLOC eventually invokes
>> PARSE-TYPE, and we use it a lot.
>
> Thanks to the optimization mentioned above (a compiler macro for
> foreign-alloc), foreign-string-alloc calls PARSE-TYPE only at
> compile-time.

This seems not to work on Clozure CL the way that it is expected.  I
see a call to PARSE-TYPE for every invocation of FOREIGN-STRING-ALLOC.
I will try to understand how the compiler macro is supposed to work in
order to find out if what I see is a CCL bug and can be fixed by
Clozure.  Any pointers helping with that would be appreciated.

Thank you for the clarification so far,
Hans