[cffi-devel] cffi_0.9.1 vs cffi-060417

Rick Taube taube at uiuc.edu
Tue May 16 00:19:38 UTC 2006

I have a program that runs well in cffi-060417 (SBCL 0.9.10/linux and
openmcl/darwin), but crashes in the 0.9.1 release in SBCL 0.9.10/linux
The error message is:
   vicious metacircle:  The computation of an effective method of
   #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION CFFI:FREE-TRANSLATED-OBJECT (3)> for
arguments of
   types (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T> #<BUILT-IN-CLASS SYMBOL> #<BUILT-IN-CLASS
T>) uses
   the effective method being computed.

unfortunately I have no idea what is causing this error other than its
happening under my scheduler's callback into lisp. any help trying to
figure this out would be appreciated!
--rick

* (rts)
; RTS running
* (sprout (process repeat 5 output (new midi :keynum (between 60 80))
wait .5))

debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread
#<THREAD "initial thread" {A68D371}>:
   vicious metacircle:  The computation of an effective method of
   #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION CFFI:FREE-TRANSLATED-OBJECT (3)> for
arguments of
   types (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T> #<BUILT-IN-CLASS SYMBOL> #<BUILT-IN-CLASS
T>) uses
   the effective method being computed.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
   0: [ABORT-RTS      ] Abort RTS, stopping scheduler.
   1: [CONTINUE-RTS   ] Delete current entry and continue.
   2: [FLUSH-QUEUE    ] Flush pending events from scheduler.
   3: [REMOVE-CALLBACK] Remove callback function.
   4: [ABORT          ] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SB-PCL::BREAK-VICIOUS-METACIRCLE
  #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION CFFI:FREE-TRANSLATED-OBJECT (3)>
  (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T> #<BUILT-IN-CLASS SYMBOL> #<BUILT-IN-CLASS T>)
  #S(SB-PCL::ARG-INFO
     :ARG-INFO-LAMBDA-LIST (CFFI::VALUE CFFI::NAME CFFI::PARAM)
     :ARG-INFO-PRECEDENCE (0 1 2)
     :ARG-INFO-METATYPES (T CLASS T)
     :ARG-INFO-NUMBER-OPTIONAL 0
     :ARG-INFO-KEY/REST-P NIL
     :ARG-INFO-KEYS NIL
     :GF-INFO-SIMPLE-ACCESSOR-TYPE NIL
     :GF-PRECOMPUTE-DFUN-AND-EMF-P NIL
     :GF-INFO-STATIC-C-A-M-EMF #S(SB-PCL::FAST-METHOD-CALL
                                  :FUNCTION #
                                  :PV-CELL NIL
                                  :NEXT-METHOD-CALL NIL
                                  :ARG-INFO (2))
     :GF-INFO-C-A-M-EMF-STD-P T
     :GF-INFO-FAST-MF-P T))
0]

debugger invoked on a SB-KERNEL::MEMORY-FAULT-ERROR in thread
#<THREAD "initial thread" {A68D371}>:
   memory fault
Segmentation fault
-bash-3.00$