[cffi-devel] Re: Can't expand foreign-funcall

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 12:07:22 UTC 2006

"Liam M. Healy" <lnp at healy.washington.dc.us> writes:
> A darcs pull today of CFFI leaves foreign-funcall unexpandable
> in SBCL.
>
> ; caught ERROR:
> ;   (during macroexpansion of (FOREIGN-FUNCALL ... ...))
> ;   A function with declared result type NIL returned:
> ;     CFFI::TRANSLATE-OBJECTS

> Apparently this error message results from a function redefinition
> http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/03_bbc.htm

Hmm, I can't figure out where such a redefinition might be happening nor
can I reproduce this problem.

> See discussion
> http://meme.b9.com/cview.html?utime=3351855600&channel=lisp&start=3351855600&end=3351857520#utime_requested

[quoting some of your discussion in random order]

> <LiamH> I know little about darcs; is it possible to go back in time?
> Then I might be able to figure out what patch caused the error to come
> up.

Well, should this turn out to be a CFFI bug, it's my
fault. TRANSLATE-OBJECTS used to be a macro, I turned it into a
function.

http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=cffi;a=annotate_shade;f=/src/functions.lisp
http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=cffi;a=filediff;h=20060214001931-28748-a0103976b60c8b481970f4252287c832e4eb26ac.gz;f=src/functions.lisp

> <LiamH> So somewhere in the macro expansion, CFFI is redefining TRANSLATE-OBJECTS.

I can't see where this could be happening. And wouldn't SBCL warn about
this?

> <LiamH> I do have a rather elderly version of SBCL
> <LiamH> 0.9.7.25

I suggest trying a more recent version of SBCL.

--
Luís Oliveira
luismbo (@) gmail (.) com