[cffi-devel] Port to ECL

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Thu Oct 27 15:14:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 15:56 +0100, Luis Oliveira wrote:
> Great! I'll add a note in the webpage saying that ECL CVS is required
> and update the port's status to "Working."

Thanks

> Also, some of the new features require recent features ECL, IIRC. Which
> platforms are supported by ECL/CFFI? (or which features don't work on
> which platforms, if any?)
> For example, it'd be nice to push :no-cffi-callbacks to *features* on
> platforms where ECL doesn't support callbacks.

All features are supported. ECL however sponsors two types of
implementations: one which uses the C compiler, and on some platforms,
one which uses some assembly code.

The C implementation always works. This means that a file that uses CFFI
and is COMPILE-FILE'd will have access to callbacks, C functions,
variables, etc, on all platforms.

The assembler implementation is currently only working on the x86
platform. The only significant advantage of this implementation is that
it also works with interpreted code. User can load shared libraries,
define callbacks and call C functions from the command line.

The ECL feature DFFI (stands for dynamical ffi) is defined on platforms
on which the second implementation is available.

Regards,

Juanjo