[cells-gtk-devel] Patches

roberto roby.giana at tiscali.it
Thu Feb 28 17:56:51 UTC 2008

Hi Peter,

> First of all:  I have no good explanation what is going wrong here.  I
> haven't seen this problem before.  Since cells-gtk itself appears to
> work for a number of people (myself included), it must be something that
> is (slightly) different about your setup.

I think that it doesn't work only because I'm not very good in programming,
and I do not want makes you to lose time too much... Anyway, let's try, if
you want...;)

> - I assume you uncommented the (pushnew :cells-gtk-threads *features*)
> in cells-gtk/cells-gtk.asd?  And after that, you removed all fasls,
> restarted sbcl, and did (require 'test-gtk) after that?  (Otherwise you
> might have stale fasls hanging around.  This is an issue with SBCL).

I uncommented the line ( or it is uncommented by your patch, I don't
remember), next I got a fresh directory of cells-gtk-2006-06-30 (without fasl
files, with: cd .../gtk-ffi and: make, cp libscellgtk.so in /usr/lib, where I
had the old working version ), restarted emacs, did alt-x slime (and
everything's recompiled), and then require bordeaux-threads, and test-gtk.

> - Does (start-app 'test-gtk) work?  Or is it broken, too? (start-app is
> the non-threading part, start-win is the threading part)  Note that you
> have to restart sbcl before you switch from one to the other. (This is a
> GTK issue, GTK is not prepared for something dynamic like lisp.  When
> you do C, you restart your app for every little test anyway.  In Lisp,
> you have your app running as long as your lisp session lasts.  This is
> quite tricky)

(start-app 'test-gtk) give me the same error message (also after I recompile
all):
The function CELLS-GTK: :GTK-TREE-STORE-SET-CELL is undefined.
      [Condition of type UNDEFINED-FUNCTION]

> - Can you (start-win 'window) ?  What happens?

It appears a little window, but when I try to close it, well, it doesn't
close....

> - Remove all fasls, restart lisp, do (pushnew :msg *features*), and
> require test-gtk. You will get a debug build with further debugging output.

I did :
 (pushnew :msg *features*)
and appears:
(:MSG :CELLS_GTK_THREADS :LIBCELLSGTK CFFI-FEATURES:X(&
CFFI-FEATURES:UNIX :CFFI :CELLS :BORDEAUX-THREADS :THREAD-SUPPORT :SB-BSD-SOCKETS-ADDRINFO
:ASDF :SB-THREADS :ANSI-CL :COMMON-LISP :SBCL :SB-DOC :SB-TEST :SB-LDB :SB-PACKAGE_LOCKS
:SB-UNICODE :SB-EVAL :SB-SOURCE_LOCATIONS :IEEEE-FLOATING-POINT :X86 :UNIX :ELF :LINUX
:LARGEFILE :GENCGC :STACK-GROWS-DOWNWARD-NOT-UPWARD :C-STACK-IS-CONTROL-STACK
:COMPARE-AND-SWAP-VOPS :UNWIND-TO-FRAME-AND-CALL-VOP :STACK-ALLOCATABLE-CLOSURES :ALIEN-CALLBACKS
:LINKAGE-TABLE :OS-PROVIDES-DLOPEN :OS-PROVIDES-DLADDR :OS-PROVIDES-PUTWC
:OS-PROVIDES-SUSECONDS-T)

But when I launch: (require 'test-gtk), (in-package :test-gtk) and
(start-app 'test-gtk) , it give me the same error message:
The function CELLS-GTK: :GTK-TREE-STORE-SET-CELL is undefined.
      [Condition of type UNDEFINED-FUNCTION]

Thanks again, for your answers and for all,
Roberto