[cells-gtk-devel] cells-gtk drawing-area widget

Martin Flack martin at martinflack.com
Sun Jun 24 21:41:07 UTC 2007

Hi Peter (D) & Peter (H),

Thanks for the replies.

The cairo direction sounds good. It's probably more than I need for my
pet projects, but don't let me discourage you. I think I just need basic
shapes on the screen.

It seems conceptually we're moving towards more of a "canvas" type
object. I wonder at what point we separate the drawing object and the
canvas object that builds upon it, if at all. (I don't suppose wrapping
the Gnome Canvas for CL would be easier?)

One thing I would like to see is layers, like gimp and photoshop. So
possibly the :kids could optionally consist of layer objects that
have :kids of their own. Then you could assign objects onto the layers
and they appear in the correct stacking order, and you can show/hide
layers as a whole, etc. Also I'd like to experiment with each layer
having an optional coordinate translation function.

Martin