[cells-gtk-devel] cannot load "load.lisp"

Vinay Reddy vinay at cs.unc.edu
Mon Jun 19 16:42:50 UTC 2006

> I just tried compiling cells-gtk-2006-02-16 under
> sbcl-0.9.12-x86-64-linux-binary.tar.bz2 and it compiles fine for me. There is
> one place where you have to continue from a variable being redefined. We
> fixed this in the CVS, but for now, just using the tarball, you will get
> this:
>
>  The constant +C-NULL+ is being redefined (from #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X00000000)
>   to #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X00000000))
> See also:
>   The ANSI Standard, Macro DEFCONSTANT
>   The SBCL Manual, Node "Idiosyncrasies"
>
> Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
>   0: [CONTINUE] Go ahead and change the value.
>
> ...At which point you type 0 and it continues (lots of text printing out,
> which is inevitable in sbcl) but after all that you should see:
>
>  Done! Now try (test-gtk::gtk-demo)
> *
> I can't try running cells-gtk on x64 because the server I tried this on does
> not run X11. But that isn't where you are getting stuck anyway.
>
> The error sbcl is showing you is the same sort of thing that you saw with
> clisp. A package is not found. Again I don't understand this. I will show you
> what I did to install sbcl and to compile cells-gtk:
>
> (0) mkdir ~/lisp
> (1) cd ~/lisp
> (2) tar xjf sbcl-0.9.12-x86-64-linux-binary.tar.bz2
> (3) cd sbcl-0.9.12-x86-64-linux/
> (4) INSTALL_ROOT=/home/pdenno sh install.sh
> (5) cd ..
> (6)  tar zxf cells-gtk-2006-02-16.tgz
> (7) cd cells-gtk-2006-02-16/
> (8) sbcl --core ~/lisp/sbcl-0.9.12-x86-64-linux/output/sbcl.core
> (89 (load "load")
> (10) enter 0 as described above.
> (11) (test-gtk::gtk-demo)

I tried the exact same steps. This time, the whole thing went through
fine, but when I do (test-gtk::gtk-demo) it complains about
libcellsgtk.so.

(test-gtk::gtk-demo)

debugger invoked on a CFFI:LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR in thread
#<THREAD "initial thread" {10022BFC31}>:
  Unable to load foreign library: libcellsgtk.so

Here's the error message:

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [RETRY    ] Try loading the foreign library again.
  1: [USE-VALUE] Use another library instead.
  2: [ABORT    ] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(CFFI::HANDLE-LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR
 "libcellsgtk.so"
 "Unable to load foreign library: ~A"
 "libcellsgtk.so")

I build libcellsgtk.so in root/gtk-ffi/ and placed it in /usr/lib, but
sbcl couldn't find it.

Even though cells-gtk loaded fine in sbcl, when I do a (use-package
"FFI"), it still can't find FFI. (find-package "FFI") returns NIL.

Thanks,
Vinay

PS: I'm using RHEL 4 on AMD 64.