[cells-gtk-devel] Need help with FreeBSD installation

rm at seid-online.de rm at seid-online.de
Tue May 10 16:11:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 10:56:26AM -0400, Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'm looking to try cells-gtk and I'm have trouble getting it installed.
> >Here's my system:
> >
> >DragonFlyBSD (like FreeBSD-4.x)
> >CMUCL Lisp
> >gtk-2.8.?
> >
> >I was running (load "load") and got an error that it couldn't find libgtk.
> >

> Here is where "load" is looking:
>
> (let ((libpath (cond ((directory "/usr/lib/libgtk*") "/usr/lib/")
>                     ((directory "/opt/gnome/lib/libgtk*")
> "/opt/gnome/lib/"))))
>  (if libpath
>     <else>   (error "Cannot find a path containing libgtk")))

This code does fail with SBCL as well. Looks like the "/usr/lib/libgtk*" doesn't
match. Adding a file type ("/usr/lib/libgtk*.so") or at least a file type
wildcard ("/usr/lib/libgtk*.*") solves _Taht_ problem.

BTW, there should be no need to provide a libpath - most dynamic linkers will work
without a path (actually, chances are higher that you get the systems correct library
version). With SBCL a simple

 (load-shared-object "libgtk-x11-2.0.so")

will do.

> Where exactly do you have libgtk? Anyway, the idea is simply to get the
> above code working, either by moving libgtk or by tweaking your copy of
> the code (and possibly submitting a patch if you think others would
> benefit).

Seems like the lib-loading is spread over a bunch of files. Wouldn't it make sense
to centralize before we submit OS/Implementation specific patches :-)

 Cheers Ralf Mattes