[cells-devel] Re: [cells-gtk-devel] installation notes, type error in test-gtk

Kenny Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Fri Jul 25 15:38:29 UTC 2008

Laziz Foo wrote:
>> Thanks! So I have lost track, is this Cells-Gtk3 (with Cells 3 Inside) or
>> Oldskool Cells-Gtk?
>

> This is cells-gtk3.  Oldschool works out of the box, but I wanted the
> cairo stuff.

And you got help from someone other than Peter H so it sounds as if CG3
has taken hold. Cool.

So it is a battle to death between Cello and Cells-Gtk3 for GUI
supremacy? Awesome.

>  It's a case of scratching my own itch--  every
> stock/futures charting app I've used (both windows and linux) are
> inadequate in ways that are important to me; might as well write my
> own.
>
> Your propaganda has convinced me that somehow I would have
> greenspunned Cells,  or given up on the project entirely while chasing
> state issues around.

Ah, good, the spam is working. Yes, the paradigm is inevitable so one
ends up automating dataflow one way or another. Over on c.l.l someone is
explaining how Qt's signals/slots eliminate the need for Cells.
Whatever. I just like the mounting evidence that dataflow is inevitable.
  I would add it to the prior art in the Cells manifesto but it is
getting ridiculous, I might just edit that down to "It's everywhere."

>> Cells3 integrity clearly is to be preferred, but I miss the good old days of
>> Cells Classic when I just SETfed here and SETFed there and let the data
>> converge /eventually/ on correct values. :)
>
> In one of my previous go-rounds w/ lisp, I used cells-classic to
> investigate globex tick data.  C.l.l.  cells reactions/concerns do not
> match the reality of downloading it and doing something useful
> quickly, despite the lack of documentation.

Damn. I'll have to find some other way to keep Cells to myself. perhaps
it is time to start seeding CVS with insidious bugs...

> It also occurs to me that
> if the 'yobbos' really wanted to popularize lisp, they'd find some way
> to use cells-*tk to create a Visual Studio-like thingy that would
> enable any CTO's nephew to say, "Oh lisp-- yeah, I do that."

It would not help, I think. Programming is receding into the background
(or India or Russia or China) of culture. Once was a time lotsa people
wired up electronics. The career is still there for the odd weirdo, but
-- well, it's like shade-tree auto mechanics: gone along with the simple
technology.

Happy hacking.