[cells-devel] gui-geometry

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 10:22:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Kenny Tilton <kennytilton at optonline.net> wrote:
> It depends on whether you want a widget set. With Cello one gets raw
> control, event, and rendering primitives one assembles as needed into
> interactive GUI elements. The True Lisp Way, all the power in the world.
>
> With Celtk or Cells-Gtk you get a standard widget set but then are locked in
> to those.

I just realized that all the time while I was arguing in favor of a
fixed widget set, I have been walking towards raw control through the
backdoor:  I think my cairo-drawing-area widget ended up bringing in a
cellosy GUI through the back door.

The widget offers a canvas, a basic set of geometric prmitives such as
lines, arcs, rectangles, and text, and some interactive functionality
such as propagating drag and drop, select, and click events.  Then I
use the primitives to create my own widgets, in my case edges and
vertices in a graph.  Other (gtk) widgets such as a list view show the
data of the currently selected graph element and enable the user to
change the properties.

Long story short, designing interactive dynamic GUI elements
representing the underlying dynamic data structures is the Lisp Way,
and it is so intriguing that one may follow it without even noticing
(or:  once you are on the Cells Way you can't avoid it).

Or, from a different angle, there's something cellosy about cells-gtk3 now :-)

Everybody have fun hacking,

Peter

(There's hardly any coding for me now but I get to do declarative
programming in Excel -- as long as I don't call it that way :-))