[cells-devel] Inheritance from model, not model-object?

Kenny Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Tue Jul 8 22:41:47 UTC 2008

Mikko Ahonen wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > Am I misunderstanding something, or should "model-object" in this error
 > be replaced with "model"?
 >
 > "If no superclass of X inherits directly or indirectly from
 > model-object, model-object must be included as a direct super-class in
 > the defmodel form for X"

My intention with the bifurcation of model-object and model is that
model-object would have everything needed for Cells, while model has the
stuff I normally use. But the idea was that if someone really wanted to
go nuts with experimenting with variations on Cells, model-object would
be the bare minimum needed for Cells itself. The other stuff is about
the important business of managing a bunch of cells-driven objects, but
one could do that in lotsa ways.

If you saw something in model absolutely necessary for Cells to work, I
goofed. :)

 > Btw, cells seems very intuitive way to do GUI programming.

Yeah, I have been doing it for years and I still am amazed at how easy
it is to build highly dynamic interfaces that really add value for the
user. We really flipped over it when we stumbled on it by accident back
in '95.

 > I am new to
 > both Lisp and GUI programming. The first thing I thought after getting
 > mingled in some complicated callback hierarchies was that there must be
 > a better way in Lisp to do this. And luckily I found cells. Thanks.

Cool. Philip Eby also talks about callback madness as motivating his
Cells clone, Trellis (a Python project). I never thought about it as a
callback thing, but it seems to be a recurring theme. :)

cheers,

ken