[cells-devel] [openair] web-app still :NASCENT after make-instance

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 00:02:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Frank Goenninger <frgo at mac.com> wrote:

> Ok, so I am still trying to find out why the handler slot of the web app
> is always NIL.
>
> That's what I get after creating the instance with make-instance:

That should work. Back in the day we had to call to-be on a new instance,
but integrity-handling managed to eliminate that (or I just got smarter).

What happens is that even with an apparent raw make-instance there is a
check (in the shared-initialize method on model-object) to see if integrity
is being managed and if not the old to-be handling gets invoked. If it
isbeing managed md-awaken gets kicked off by the handling of "owned"
slots
(formerly special-case handled for the kids slot).

What can stop  this from happening is testing without calling cells-reset
after a crash during which the *stop* (*c-stop*?) special gets set to t.

Assuming that is not the case, all you can do is cut=paste the shared-init
to make a custom copy specialized on web-app and add a kazillion print
statements.

In desperation, bounce your Lisp and start afresh as a sanity check. We have
been banging on Cells internals lately, maybe something is broken.