[cells-devel] baby steps

Ken Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Sun Apr 13 02:21:03 UTC 2008

The attached works a tiny little bit.

Running hunch, starting the server with the snippet at the top of
example.lisp, running (reload), and then navigating to 8000/apropos I
see three symbols matching the initial value of "md-slot-v".

Deleting the "v" and then tabbing I see eight values matching
"md-slot-". This required especially telling the handler creater not to
expect "/apropos" as the prefix to subsequent messages (in fact ( i just
defaulted if the name did not match apropos.

Oh, you will also see hijinx where I store nodes by name as well as by
ID, because I got back (("term" . "md-slot-")...) not (("i1234" . etc))
even though I see openair.js returns the id. Go figger.

Oh. I may have really screwed up. At one point it seemed only the
changed field (the search term) was being sent, suddenly I see the "pkg"
as well, perhaps meaning there is no need to keep a copy of the
client-side-data as you will see I am maintaining. Obviously I have no
idea what is going on, perhaps I am seeing "pkg" only as a fluke
behavior of pop-up menus (maybe if they are uninitialized they choose
the first value and then that looks like a change to be transmitted?) I
am clueless. If browsers always send all non-nil attributes with every
request (a) that sounds like a waste and (b) we can lose the
client-side-data hash table. Hopefully (a) is not the case (and anyway I
thought /we/ were deciding what to send...hmmm, I am starting to like my
theory about pop-up menus).

whew! learning curves are exhausting, but fun. This seems to be working.
I would love to feature this at eclm 2008 beacuse it shows how Cells
interconnect values, how Cells facilitate the driving of an alien
framework by a Lisp framework, and finally because it is Web 2.0,
something folks might actually be interested in.

Hang on. I just edited in some "<-kt" prefixed comments, and am
attaching again example.lisp. I decided to retest and, whoa, a problem
resurfaced: the whole thing simply stops working. I got stuck on this
earlier and was just recompiling here and there with new debug
statements and it started working again. That suggests, btw, that there
is a defparameter or something that gets reset by the file being
recompiled and reloaded (but I tried a full recompile and that did not
help). Anyway, I am sure it is something stupid, and it is too late for
me to stare at.