[cells-devel] porting to cells3

Andy Chambers achambers.home at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:11:40 UTC 2007

On 10/29/07, Ken Tilton <kennytilton at optonline.net> wrote:

> I think you cannot "upgrade" Cells-Gtk, I think you have to make a giant
> leap for guikind and call it Cells-Gtk3 (or 4, I actually forget if I am
> at Cells3 or 4, the good thing being I do not think about Cells anymore
> (tho every 4-8 months I run into a solid bug (another reason to, um,
> upgrade))). Cells-Gtk3 will be an interestingly big job since I /think/
> you will be getting into a user-queue handler that knows about Gtk, but
> as did Cells-Gtk Classic you can start by mimicking Celtk.

I knew it wouldn't just be a case of moving the asd files around but
perhaps I was still underestimating the task.  Here's the problems
I've come accross so far.

1) def-c-output seems to be called defobserver now.  Is there any
semantic differences between the two?

2) make-instance 'family now requires an :fm-parent

My approach until now has been to update the cells that cells-gtk
uses, then load-system, fix errors, load-system....

I'm just communicating this in case it elicits a nugget of insight
from someone that might have attempted a similar task before.

Cheers,
Andy