[cells-devel] change of topics

momerath michael at guildsoftware.com
Thu Mar 16 11:42:23 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm thinking the cargo problem isn't as well-suited to Cells as some
of the other things on my todo list.  I picked it because it was
simple, but I think I now grasp the direction that it would go; my
basic disconnect was how a hash-table could be used as an input or
intermediate cell.  It looks to me now that I wouldn't gain much over
my existing procedural/rule-based version by re-implementing it with
Cells (at least short of implementing ZigZag first).

On the other hand, the next big feature I'm going to implement is a
dynamic economy simulation, which, I think, is exactly the type of
system Cells would be good for modelling.  So here is a description of
a somewhat simplified system in english- (psuedo)code coming soon:

--
The primary actors are Stations (space-stations).  Stations have an
inventory of Items.  Items are either fundamental (ore) or produced

Initially, an arbitrary desired quantity of each item will determine
when and how the Station takes steps to bring the quantity closer to
the norm.  The steps a station can take are: adjusting prices,
producing a desired item from more plentiful ingredients, negotiating
a shipment from another Station, and posting a mining mission (for
ores).

In shipping negotiation, the providing station determines its
capability (items in stock?) and overhead (payment of player/npc
traders and escorts (number determined by route danger)), and makes an
offer to the receiving station (a procedural way of describing
something that could be done in a more "push" or Cells-ish way).  The
receiving station accumulates offers for all stations that it does
business with (whole other ball of wax), and then picks the cheapest.
Shipments encounter danger and rarely make it through completely
intact.  At least initially, the payment is for goods received and the
providing stations don't notice trends in route danger, so no
risk/benefit analysis need be done.

I think that covers the basics.  In the future, some of the decisions
would be put in the hands of planning agents (how much to stock, which
stations to deal with, determining supply and demand curves, etc).
--

While you think about that (if you get a chance), I'll try to
implement it, and I'll post again when I get stuck or I've got

Thanks for the help,
Michael