[cells-devel] Re: Celtk: Button as kid of a canvas ...

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at ocf.berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 31 13:14:31 UTC 2006

On 12/31/06, Ken Tilton <kentilton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am 29.12.2006 um 14:16 schrieb Thomas F. Burdick:
> >
> >> In Ltk, you'd do this by creating a canvas-window item on the canvas,
> >> then packing your button into that.  So the button is a child of a
> >> child of the canvas.  I'm guessing you can achieve the same effect in
> >> Celtk by making a canvas-window in the kids of the canvas, and your
> >> button in its kids.
>
> Weird, right? Is this a Tk issue? A Cells issue? An issue arising out of
> the Lisp API to Tk? Follow the bouncing API....

It's a Tk thing -- canvasses are their own weird little world where
you manually place canvas-items instead of letting a layout manager
place widgets.  canvas-windows just bridge the gap.  You could
automatically make the canvas-window if you try to place a widget in a
canvas, but it seems like it might just make things uglier.