[cells-devel] Re: [cello-devel] Constructor syntax

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri May 14 09:43:39 UTC 2004

Kenny Tilton writes:

 > Food for thought: slot-value is a back door. Not sure what that food
 > means, tho, because for a while Cells /was/ mop-based and slot-value was
 > not a back door. But that was slower and less portable. But those are
 > practical concerns, not ideological. But consistency here might be a
 > Good Thing if only for consistency's usual merits (hobgoblins
 > notwithstanding).
 >
 > More food: when slot-value was /not/ a backdoor, it was a nuisance to
 > programming cells. I had to set a *backdoor* special to actually get the
 > raw slot-value in Cell internals. ie, slot-value-using-class and its
 > setter both had to (in all specializations) keep an eye out for
 > *backdoor* access. OK, it is not the end of the world, but it may have
 > been a Message From God, viz, that perhaps the transparency thing
 > (making it seem as if CLOS does Cells) is a mistake: CLOS does /not/ do
 > Cells. Cells by this thinking are not strictly an /extension/ of CLOS,
 > but rather a distinct OO capability implemented thru CLOS. Less
 > profoundly, should Cell internals ever care about slot bounditude, we'll
 > be back into *backdoor* tricks.

Hmmm ... maybe you're right.  Exporting md-slot-value and making it
bottom out to calling slot-value would make this argument stronger.
Then, if you're using Cells, just use the md- variations for
everything.  If you're consuming object that you don't know too much
about (are they Models?), you really don't want to be doing things
like calling slot-value on them anyway.

 > Having to hack MCL folks' CLOSes becomes just another straw on the back
 > at this point.
 >
 > Thoughts?

Well, I do think it's more like a bug in MCL, since it's in line with
the MOP they implement, but on reconsideration, the md- solution might
be better.  Since Cells really isn't integrated into CLOS, having this
little feature integrated would be weird; the normal backdoor around
it would be to write a method on s-m-u-c that circumvents Cells'.  But
since model classes aren't instances of a model-class metaclass, the
backdoor would be to get an :around method around the Cells :around
method ... okay, that might just be a message from Rakim (God MC).

---
         ,'  .\  / | It's been a long time,          |
     ,--'    _,'   | I shouldn'ta left you           |
    /       /      | without a dope rhyme to step to |
   |     ) |
   `. )----'