[cells-devel] Can someone help Rui? Re: lisp + glut

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 17 19:21:00 UTC 2003

Rui,

One of the gents on this list did one of the CMUCL hacks to permit
callbacks into CMUCL from C. Perhaps he can steer you in the right
direction.

Also, he always tells me the CMUCL mailing list is the place to learn
about new development. Do you follow that? I wish I could be more help,
but I have flirted with CMUCL only briefly, and then with a standard
release.

All that said, I do want to port my Cello GUI (CL+Cells+Freeglut) to an
X-based Freeglut fairly soon, and someone else here volunteered to
assist. Maybe we should all hunker down and at least get CMUCL+Freeglut
working. Then Cello just falls into place.

Step one would be to do nothing but get Freeglut built on Linux, tested
out with one of the "C" demos that comes with it. FG just had a major
release and support there is very prompt. I built FG2 without a problem
on win32, but got sidetracked before I could build the C demos.

Step 2 is driving FG2 and OpenGL from CL. I have somewhere a Lisp
implementation of exercise 14 from the NeHe OpenGL site. That does not
involve my Cells library, so it could be a good test case. I'll make
sure it still works on FG2 on win32 first.

That would get Rui going, and then it would be easy for me to bring up
Cello.

Who's down for any of this? I want to get /something/ out in the way of
a Cells reference before doing any coding, and I am also doing stuff
(with Cello!) for a Lisp+music group here in NYC, so it will be a few
days before I can get involved, but then I think I will fire up my Linux
box and see what I can see.

ps. If anyone is absolutely dying for the reference, I can send a
horrific work in progress out at any time by email.

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com