[cells-devel] Is it Cello yet? Nope...

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Dec 12 18:49:55 UTC 2003

Kenny Tilton writes:
 > Silly me. I had heard that the Big Three (*nix, Mac OS, and win32) all
 > supported native fonts for OpenGL via xgl, agl, and wgl libraries. Well...

(BTW, it's glX for X11)

 > Bad luck. The one I tried first happened to be wgl, which supports both
 > bitmapped and outline of any installed font on the system. Not so with
 > agl, just bitmap and not just any font. It offers a nice list of
 > pre-defined fonts, but to do this right we need unrestricted font access.

Hrm, I thought that the Mac and X11 supported outline fonts and OpenGL
as different, but composable, extensions.  I haven't tested this
hypothesis, though.  Couldn't you use aglGetDrawable on the current
context to get the underlying CGrafPtr, then use the normal Carbon
text-drawing functions?

 > I am looking at FreeType next.

Huh, I thought FreeType was an X11 thing (shows what I know).  I was
going to suggest using xft on X11, to get at font info (eg, that's how
you can use all the native fonts with Apple's X11.app).  I guess since
you can use it everywhere, that might be the simplest thing to do.

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |