[cells-devel] There is a God...

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Dec 8 19:28:39 UTC 2003

Kenny Tilton writes:
 > Any OS X developers out there?

A bit -- I'm good with OS X cum Unix, and steadily digging deeper and
deeper into OS X cum Mac and OS X cum NeXT.  Remember, it's a
Frankenmonster of three systems.  You *can* mix them, but it's easier
to pick one and pretend you're just on a Mac/Unix/NeXT system.

 > Jump ball for any OS X developers: Do you actually use ProjectBuilder or
 > now XCode on OS X, or do you just get to command line and use good ol'
 > .configure and make? Hmm, think I'll go look for a comp.mac NG to
 > irritate...

I use ProjectBuilder (still using Jaguar) when I'm doing Mac stuff,
and the traditional Unix environment (command-line / Emacs) when I'm
doing Unix stuff.  Since you're trying to get this up on OS X as a way
of getting to Unix, you'll probably want to use the latter.

Your X11-related libraries are in /usr/X11R6/lib/, which is where
libGLU.dynlib and libGLU.a (static library) are.

 > btw, the subtext is that Cello is back up with my font stuff as a
 > separate DLL and other open source stuff unforked. (I had been running
 > off madly deviated UFFI and FG). Well, the new glutMainLoopEvent did not
 > work as well for me so I switched to glutMainLoop and that fixed
 > everything. glutMainLoop is sub-ideal for Lispy iterative development,
 > so I'll want to get back to glutMainLoopEvent once XWindows is in the bag.

It might even be worthwhile to keep both available as options.  It
seems like the free lisps are moving towards native multithreading,
which would mean it's okay if the Cello process is stuck in C land
most of the time.

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |