[cello-devel] Re: [cells-devel] New Cells User Feedback (includes patch!)

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sun Apr 24 01:08:23 UTC 2005

Peter Denno wrote:

>On Friday 22 April 2005 23:03, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>

>>well, keep the pestering up (13 more days to go) and we can do something.
>>
>>Is hello-c (or whatever we want to call "UFFI extended to support
>>callbacks into Lisp from C as well as CLisp")
>>

>Hello-c is fine with me.
>

>>going to get enough
>>attention to warrant its own c-l.net project?
>>

>Got me. I haven't had time to think about it yet. Do you suppose there are
>other projects that would use it?

Well, we would soon have both Cello and Cells-Gtk reaching into Cells to
get hello-c, but they also go after Cells, so that is not too silly. And
it is hard to imagine anyone doing a project without using Cells. <g> But...

When kevin rosenberg encouraged me to take my uffi extensions to a new
project, he mentioned that he himself thought it was time for a new
uffi. CLisp now has a great FFI, but UFFI does not support CLisp.
Callbacks into Lisp from C are now universal enough to meet KR's
requirements for UFFI inclusion, but I do not see him going that way.

Unless KR has a chnage of heart, Lisp needs a new semi-universal C FFI.

>>Should utils-kt quietly be redundantly added to Cells and hello-c? Or is
>>it fine as a module under Cells? I doubt it is worth making into its own
>>project, as at least one other did.
>>

>Maybe added to cells makes most sense. I'm not too crazy of the idea of a
>separate module for utilities. We each have our own such collection and I'd
>like to add a few of mine wherever they are useful.
>
>In my thinking, a module ought to support a bounded, well-defined purpose --
>either as a component of a system or as a set of operations on a single kind
>of object. Utilities aren't like that.

And the good news is that they do not undergo evolutionary development
over time, so they can just be replicated into a serious module and
forgotten.

hmmmm. well, if we are going to upset the applecart we may as well do it
all at once:

cells out from under cell-cultures to be a toplevel module in the cells
project (and eventually the only one).
hello-c into its own c-l.net project (if c-l.net approves)
utils-kt replicated redundantly into... uh-oh. who exports it?! <sigh>
OK, let's have cells export those functions.
cello back over to the cello project
cell-cultures sleeps with the fish

all those in favor? opposed?

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd