[cello-devel] scrolling in da house

Frank Goenninger frank_goenninger at t-online.de
Wed Mar 31 18:44:15 UTC 2004

Hi Kenny and all the other on the list!

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 00:32, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Frank Goenninger wrote:
>
> >Hi Kenny,
> >
> >does PortaCello3 include the porting bits of all the porters already? If
> >so I'd like to test that release to see if everything still works...
> >
> I was waiting to see if anyone wanted PC3. I will work in your stuff
> before uploading. Thomas never sent his stuff, but perhaps that was just
> the Cells bit? I really should get Cells out of Cello. Or maybe not. If
> we split it off, then we get these support issues such as "Ah, you need
> to update your Cells to v.9.7.3 to run Cello v7.4.2 and after". But if
> we just let Cells be a part of the Cello project that goes away, yes?
> When anyone grabs Cello they always get the appropriate Cells. This is
> no problem for anyone who just wants Cells, right? The only problem
> would be if a second big project used Cells--but then really that is no
> harder for them just because Cells is a subtree (CVS-wise) of Cello than
> if it were standalone.
>
> Possibly the problem arises at the mailing-list level. I don't know. We
> can worry about this if/when we get more users.

Well, to put the problem to the point:

Cells as Cells-in-Cello is the same package as Cells as in
Cells-standalone.

Anyone needing a specific feature of Cells-standalone that wasn't
implemented in Cells-in-Cello is in trouble then...

So: Either give Cells-in-Cello another package name or really cut it
out.

I'd vote for having just one separate Cells package and maintain a
support matrix.

Feedback on this? Thx!

> >And yes, I'm already biting into the keyboard driven by expectations and
> >hope to really see that scroller stuff !!! Keep going!
> >
> <g> It's just a scroller, though I will try to make them pretty to drive
> the mcClim guys nuts.
>
> >Currently I'm playing with cells to bring up my first real app with it.
> >I don't want to let Thomas alone with his araneida + cells + db app ;-)
> >
> I have been meaning to say that, since it has been quiet on the porting
> front and you have the port you need done, conceivably you would like to
> get on with building something. If so, feel free to ask how to do x-y-z.
> Well, come to think of it, we need text input and menus before there is
> much you can do. OK, more better widgets on the way. But if I get bored
> I am stopping to add the OpenAL bindings. And I want to do that before
> the next Lisp Music meeting anyway.
>
> cheers, kt

Yes, of course we need that "basic widget - ahem - library" ;-)
But as you're the one coding at light speed in the Cello env ...

Besides all that I have to admit that the time I can spend on this
is very limited due to project delivery (no coding involved, just
Consultant stuff on process level - Supply Chain thingies...)

After Easter I have a whole week of vacation and that will be the
time for that!

Cheers,
   Frank