[cello-devel] corman second thoughts

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 15:47:41 UTC 2004

Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

>Kenny Tilton writes:
> > It just occurred to me what the problem may have been that made me
> > abandon the Corman and CLisp ports. The key Cells mechanism called
> > "echoing" works via the generic function c-echo-slot-name. Two problems:
> > the method combination is progn, and the dispatch requires EQL
> > specialization.
> >
> > The first question is whether those limitations still apply to either
> > implementation. Perhaps newer versions have fixed these. If not..
>
>After years of harassment, flaming, threats, pleading, flames,
>begging, Erik Naggum, and periodic diaspora of users, CLISP is finally
>working on supporting CLOS in ernest.

...snip...

>As for Corman, I got the impression from R.C. that he had the same
>attitude as I had with the Anaconda/CL-80 project: sure, there are
>bugs, CL is a big language -- tell me the problems you actually run
>into and I'll fix them, on a need-to-use basis.

Sounds promising, and tempting. I am going to /try/ to concentrate on
producing a commercial app with Cello, which means mo better widgets,
not porting for the sake of porting (and not what is killing me now,
viz, mastering more and more stupid OpenGL tricks). But a CLisp port
would be especially cool since that itself is so portable.

thx for the update.

kt