[cello-devel] stupid cello opengl tricks

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Fri Mar 5 05:27:01 UTC 2004

The legendary lighting panel is growing by leaps and bounds. I first
gave the spinning shape material characteristics, the fun ones being
shininess and emission. The latter trys to make something look like it
is emitting light. It takes just the right settings to make on-vs-off
convincing, but that is what the lighting panel is for: all the
parameters are accessible via widgets.

The next semi-accomplishment is automatic texture mapping onto a shape.
Without this one writes insane code (I can only imagine) to map from a
2D texture onto a 3D shape, vertex by vertex. I say semi-accomplishment
because it works a little, but obviously I am missing some subtleties
based on how the mapping goes. But the mapping does work. Oddly, the
teapot works best.

Today I tossed off a no-brainer, using stored display lists to optimize
rendering. If you look at ix-render-layer for Frame3D, instead of doing
all that each time to render a button or check box or whatever, one does
it once telling OpenGL to remember it as, say, "display list #42". Then
each time I need to draw that 3d frame i just say "42" and OpenGL takes
it from there. Obviously shorter code length for Lisp, plus less traffic
out to the graphics card.

My next project is trying out glut "layers", which I have ignored so far
for some reason. I am not quite sure what they are, but it sounds as if
they might work for menus. I was thinking I would use nested windows for
those, but layers sound lighter-weight. We'll see.

After that: scrollpanes, scrollbars, multi-line static text, and then
all that combined in a text-edit widget. Along the way i will of course
support anyone attempting a port.

kenneth

--
http://tilton-technology.com