PortaCello3 Update [was Re: [cello-devel] scroller]

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Apr 12 21:34:01 UTC 2004

Frank Goenninger wrote:

>Yeah, right - it's not cells actually /moving/ between machines. But:
>If they actually do in a hypothetic solution what would that be good
>for?
>I'm just trying to think the unthinkable. Mobile Agents? Mobile Cells?
>What would be possible applications?
>
>Coming to my mind:
>- Distributed knowledge representation
>- Fault tolerant systems
>- High-availability on application level: mirroring Cells
>- Load balancing / load optimization
>- Self-organization based apps
>
>Am I going crazy now? ;-)

Too early to tell. :)

You may be right. And anyway, I also understand you are just using
language more colorfully, always good in a marketing program.

Take the IPC idea you have raised. Sure, something like RoboCup already
does detailed inter-app communication through a single, two-way pipe
using some agreed mini-language of virtual soccer. So by one view
IPCells (if you will) just eliminates the language. Well, that is a nice
achievement, but on the face of it nothing overwhelming, since little
parsers are not too hard to create. But sometimes these things turn out
to have more bang than one would expect given the apparent benefit.

Cells already did that once: I thought they simply ordered complex
calculations automatically and kept interdependent state
self-consistent, but the big win I think is that they break applications
up into a declarative model which decomposes functional complexity
almost automatically. That is something one could after the fact
translate into a Cells-free imperative implementation, but could one
ever get to that end without the crutch of originally developing the
system under Cells? If not, Cells are not a crutch. And back on topic,
it is an unexpected (by me anyway) benefit of a nice but prosaic win.

I am thinking now of the ultimate chat room, where folks could shake
hands. Maybe I have to try out one of these on-line games such as
Anarchy On-Line.

kt

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com