PortaCello3 Update [was Re: [cello-devel] scroller]

Frank Goenninger frank_goenninger at t-online.de
Sat Apr 10 19:41:10 UTC 2004

Hi Kenny and all the others:

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 15:01, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Frank Goenninger wrote:
>
> >What I wasn't all too keen on is keeping the Win32 specific naming
> >of modules when using UFFI (I remember sth like "OGL32" or the like).
> >
> Oh, ok, I did not realize that was win-specific. Just changed them all.
> Along the way I noticed that UFFI has a "supporting libraries" option on
> the load-library function. I guess win32 does that automatically, and I
> barely glanced at what you did for ftgl while pulling it in, but i
> noticed supporting library work there as well. Could you have used UFFI
> for that?

Hm, I also thought of using this functionality. I just did not try it.
Will have to do that next week. I'll report back on that one.

> I got held up with a small refactoring when I went to generalize the
> "semi-automatic" thing from the scroll stepper to the paging bar, but I
> have merged with Frank's stuff and moved hard-coded stuff out into
> configure.lisp. It ain't fancy, but it's a start, and it is hard to
> refine until folks with other configurations try to use it. Anyway, if I
> get a good work stretch in today I should be starting on the Lispworks
> check-up to see what ASD changes are needed and if anything
> AllregoCL-specific snuck in.
>
> After Portacello3 I will start work on a paper for Pascal Costanza's
> ECOOP co-located "Lisp day" (June 13?)  in Norway, which I plan to
> attend.

Me too. Just don't know yet if project delivery is permitting to do so.
Anyone else also planning to be there?

> My goal will be to demonstrate how functional application
> complexity can be managed without commensurate application complexity
> thanks to the declarative nature of cells and their automatic dataflow
> handling. I'll drag in object reuse since it is an OO show. It happens
> specifically to be a conference focused this year on autonomous software
> agents, so I may dust off RoboCup... or start a virtual pet project. Or
> a flocking birds screensaver. Or something.

How about a communicating cells super-structure. One cells instance
running on one system and the other on another system. Then have
instances of cells move between those two systems. This then is dataflow
beyond machine boundaries!

And if the transported cell contains some code fragment that will be
evaluated on the other system but knows it came from the other system
would mean to have transparent cell communication between machines.

Another thought: make synapses work as connection streams between
machines and just allow connects between systems with that mechanism.

Enough to indicate of what I was thinking about? ;-)

> kt

Happy Easter everyone!

  Frank