[boston-lisp] Next Boston Lisp Meeting: Wednesday June 25th 2008, 6pm at NEU Shillman Hall Room 135

Matt Knox matthewknox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:49:39 UTC 2008

I know a fair number (definitely 3, possibly 3 more) of boston lispers who
were at railsconf, so I don't know that it's all that big a deal.  I'll be
there for the next one.

That said, having had the privilege of watching Heow Eide-Goodman work his
magic (6 years of strong attendance without sponsorship and with only 6ish
talks/year!), I can say with total confidence that going out drinking after
the tech talks is an absolute necessity for the longevity of the group.
Once one's head has been filled with the sublime, the sublime must be
bludgeoned into longterm memory with a few dozen beers.  Then those local
lispers who are alcoholics can serve as a skeleton on which the rest of the
organization can be hung.

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Greg Pfeil <greg at technomadic.org> wrote:

> rob levy wrote:
>
>>    The previous Boston Lisp Meeting on May 28th was a success despite
>>    only 34 participants. Those who didn't come missed two very
>>    interesting talks. I welcome email suggestions for things that will
>>    make you come: maybe shorter sessions with only one speaker? In any
>>    case, many thanks to all those who came.
>>
>> Could be the light rain, or maybe people are intimidated by the high
>> concentration of elite lisp hackers with their wide-ranging knowledge (just
>> kidding, maybe).  I find it pretty inspiring and informative to listen to
>> (and where appropriate, talk with) people whose accomplishments in my
>> favorite programming language are much greater than anything I have done at
>> this point.
>>

> Yeah, I don't know that anything should be changed. I missed the last
> meeting (much to my chagrin) only because I was out of town on vacation.
>
>  One thing I was thinking about that would be really interesting would be a
>> talk about Lisp Machines, either by someone who developed some of the
>> software or hardware, or by someone who just knows a lot about them.  Even
>> better if it involves a live demonstration of one of the machines.
>>

> There are a lot of people in the area who are qualified to speak about Lisp
> Machines. It's something I would like to hear about as well. I will make a
> few requests.
>
>  On a similar note, I'm curious about the various projects to create a
>> kernel in Lisp and a Lisp OS on top of it.  I don't know if anyone in the
>> Movitz project lives around here, but if not that then a different Common
>> Lisp or Scheme OS project by someone local would be interesting.
>>

> The author of the SBCL-OS project has been to some of the meetings. Maybe
> he'll treat us to a talk at some point :)
>
>  Thanks & looking forward to more great talks,
>>

> Me too!

(def (eval e l d c)
(if (atom? e)
((ahandler (type e)) e l d c)