[Bordeaux-threads-devel] CONDITION-WAIT with timeout

Thomas Munro munro at ip9.org
Wed Apr 18 00:20:19 UTC 2012

On 17 April 2012 15:11, Stelian Ionescu <sionescu at cddr.org> wrote:
> I'd like to, but what do we do for those implementations that don't
> support timeouts ?

I went through the existing implementations and googled for
timeout variants of the mechanisms being used and found these:

ABCL: (threads:object-wait condition timeout)
Allegro: ?
Clisp: (mt:exemption exemption mutex :timeout timeout)
Clozure: (ccl:timed-wait-on-semaphore semaphore timeout)
CMUCL: ?
Corman: ?
ECL: (mp:condition-variable-timedwait condition mutex timeout)
LispWorks simulated: ?
LispWorks 6: (mp:condition-variable-wait condition mutex :timeout timeout)
MCL: ?
SBCL: (sb-thread:condition-wait condition mutex :timeout timeout)
SCL: (thread:cond-var-timedwait condition mutex timeout)

I couldn't immediately grok those with question marks, but I
suspect it's possible for most of them though.  I hope someone
who knows those systems can comment.

I don't have any suggestion on what to do if there is no
implementation apart from the obvious and unsatisfactory 'raise
an error at runtime'.