[Bordeaux-threads-devel] CONDITION-WAIT with timeout

Thomas Munro munro at ip9.org
Wed Apr 4 21:33:04 UTC 2012

Hi

Are there any plans to support a timeout for
bordeaux-threads:condition-wait?  The implementations I'm
aware of support this threading primitive:

* ABCL could presumably do it since Java Object.wait can take a timeout
* SBCL supports it using sb-thread:condition-wait with keyword :timeout [1]
* anything with POSIX threads underneath could use pthread_cond_timedwait

The main variation seems to be between those implementations that
use an absolute time and those that use a relative time (how long
to wait in milliseconds for example).

Since I think I need this feature I might try to write a patch to
do this for ABCL and SBCL if there is nothing already in
the works (unless there is some technical problem I'm not seeing?)

Thanks
Thomas Munro

[1] http://random-state.net/log/3523852985.html