[aspectl-devel] Some progress...

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Thu Aug 12 15:32:29 UTC 2004

On 10 Aug 2004, at 19:37, Jeff Caldwell wrote:

> Tonight I will try to get over the "now what?" feeling
> ... now what do I do with the code above? :)

As I said before, the example in the overview section is somewhat
abstract, to say the least. I am working on providing better and more
illustrative examples.

However, the essential idea of generic pointcuts is this: Whenever a
number of different generic functions share common behavior that can be
factored out in before/after/around methods, you can use the generic
pointcuts to define all those before/after/around methods in one single
place. The pointcut then takes care of applying them to all the
specified generic functions. (That's what the call "quantification" in
the AOSD community.)

The advantage is that changes to such before/after/around methods can
be made in one place instead of many and possibly distributed places.

See my other reply for the bug that caused with-class to fail.

Pascal

--
Tyler: "How's that working out for you?"
Jack: "Great."