[armedbear-devel] readtable-case :invert does not invert uninterned symbols

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:44:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2011, at 23:39 , Ole Arndt wrote:
>
> […]
>
>> The attached patch fixes the test case above.

>> parenscripts package.lisp. It seems that named-readtables (as it warns
>> about on loading) does not yet work with abcl.
>
> […]
>
> Thanks for the patch!
>
> A [version based on your patch, along with a unit test has been
> committed to trunk][r13508].
>
> And I've [opened up a new ticket to track porting named-readtables
> to abcl][#161], at which I have looked briefly.  The named-readtable
> tests claim to succeed.  The main part for porting would be to
> implement a readtable iterator, although there is a supposedly
> portable implementation that should work on a ANSI CL.  It seems
> that the parenscript use of named-readtable starts using a readtable
> that should invert case but the merge from the standard namespace
> then attempts to use this inversion on symbols like 'SYSTEM by
> trying for 'system instead.  I am unsure of how much work it will
> take to disentangle the cause here, but I've run out of free time
> for today.

FWIW, I have been successfully using named-readtables with ABCL for
some time (more than a year, I'd say), although my usage of it is
pretty basic. So, probably it doesn't really require porting but only
fixing some corner-case bugs. If you like, I can devote some of my
time this evening to help with analyzing the problem.
That said, a readtable iterator would be nice to have; the portable
one IIRC enumerates all ASCII (or UTF-8?) characters and asks the
readtable about each of them.

Alessio