[xcvb-devel] xcvb

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 22:57:28 UTC 2013

Dear Wes,

sorry, I am travelling right now, after spending so much time focused on ASDF;
If I vaguely remember your mentioning XCVB in a previous conversation,
I never registered that you were serious about advancing it!

There is so much to do about it. I suppose that the most urgent would be:

1- make it take advantage of the new asdf/driver system,
 that replaces most (but not all) of what used to be xcvb-driver.
2- fix it so it compiles itself again, post ASDF3.
3- fix the test suite so it doesn't run out of memory on SBCL anymore.
4- add all the features that have made it to ASDF itself
 since I last updated XCVB over a year ago, so it reaches parity again:
 test around-compile, add compile-check, add encodings, deferred warnings,
 bundle support, translation to/from if-feature, etc.
5- complete a client/server model of compilation.
6- use the above to have a more seamless bridge to/from ASDF, that
 allows for system-grained parallel compilation of code with ASDF or POIU.
7- add support for a system-grained blaze backend (Google internal),
 and for equivalent free-software backends if there's anything like that
 (distributed build system), or else implementation of such using iolib.

I suppose the right place to discuss such things is xcvb-devel mailing-list,
so I am adding the list to this conversation.

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.
		— E. W. Dijkstral