[xcvb-devel] make test fails

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 23:25:10 UTC 2010

On 4 November 2010 11:51, Attila Lendvai <attila.lendvai at gmail.com> wrote:
> afaics, make test fails on head like this:
>
> +validate_hello_build:4> make hello-using-asdf
> 'INSTALL_BIN=/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme/build/bin'
> 'INSTALL_IMAGE=/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme/build/common-lisp/images'
> 'INSTALL_LISP=/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme/build/common-lisp'
> 'INSTALL_SOURCE=/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme/build/common-lisp/source'
> 'INSTALL_SYSTEMS=/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme/build/common-lisp/systems'
> 'CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY=/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme/build//:/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme:'
> 'XCVB_OBJECT_DIRECTORY=/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme/build/obj'
> 'LISP=sbcl' 'PARALLELIZE=-l3'
> export CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY=/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme/build//:/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme:
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/alendvai/workspace/xcvb.delme/hello'
> xcvb x2a --build /xcvb/hello --build /xcvb/hello/lib --name xcvb-hello
> BORK:
> Could not find a build with requested fullname /xcvb/hello. Try xcvb
> show-source-registry

Can you (1) trace what the environment variable CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY is
just before XCVB is called (or alternatively, print it at the
beginning of XCVB),
(2) using the same value of the variable and/or of any command-line
override, indeed invoke xcvb show-source-registry and see what it
says?

Odds are you have a copy of hello/build.xcvb somewhere in the same
tree, and it's causing a conflict. Or maybe some other kind of
misconfiguration.

In any case, I pushed asdf 2.010.2, cl-launch 3.005 and xcvb .537
which together work for me.

It may be that the test script is buggy, and fails to configure the
source registry, but it still works for me because my registry is
well-configured. Will have to investigate...

> i can "fix" it to print:
>
> hello not working
> make: *** [test] Error 42
>

> by changing the CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY in compute_xcvb_dir_variables to
> this (IOW, adding ${XCVB_DIR}// to it):
>

> CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY="${XCVB_DIR}//:${BUILD_DIR}//:${PWD}:${CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY}"

I haven't looked at the script in ages, so I don't know what the
configuration should be. Do you have a full log in debug mode?

> and a potentially related question: the below comment says "don't do
> it" (unset some variables like CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY)
>
> #### And now, let's do whatever the user asks us to! ####
> #reset_variables # don't do it.
>
> Fare, could it be that "make test" works for you because your
> CL_SOURCE_REGISTRY contains xcvb/hello and the variables are not
> reset?
>
> enabling the reset of the variables does not make any difference for
> me (probably because these variables are not set in my env).
>
> thoughts?

I will have to wrap my head around it tomorrow.
I wrote that quite some time ago already.
Time flies.

Those who are afraid to take the next step will have wasted their entire
previous journey. — Baron von Richthofen