[xcvb-devel] Next on the TODO list: multiple BUILDs, search paths, etc.

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 12:36:08 UTC 2008

> I'm not sure what you mean by "the functional way". Can you elaborate?
> Even produce a mock API?

nothing fancy, just something that does not rely on symlinks on the
filesystem or otherwise a strict directory structure, but instead runs
something on the lisp side.

sometimes i experiment with two branches of a dependency, which may
mean a different branch of 5-10 transitive dependencies... and
switching between them should be simpler than a bunch of ln -s.

for example it would be good if there was a way to customize xcvb to
prefer 'foo.some-branch' to 'foo' while scanning for the module
definition for 'foo'.

as of eager/lazy scanning: in our experience, it works fine to use an
eager scanner that builds up the *cenral-registry* at build-image
time. this is mostly ok, but a bit inconvenient in the rare occasion
when a new system is added, because i either have to
(reread-asdf-registry) every time i start the old image or rebuild the
image. i mostly do the latter because i can start and forget the build
process in the background while doing something else.

--
 attila

ps: sorry for the vague ideas in this mail. unfortunately it's more a
wishlist than something useful...