[hunchentoot-devel] Running webserver on remote machine

Jeff Byrd jeffreydbyrd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 15:48:52 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

This is my first attempt at a webapp, and first time posting to the mailing
list. I have a question about starting a server on a remote machine. I've
been playing with Hunchentoot on my localhost, and it works great. Earlier
it worked on my remote webspace also. But recently I've been playing with
SBCL threading and Allegro (following
this<http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practical-web-programming-with-allegroserve.html>tutorial,
which had me install all sorts of weird gigamonkey stuff) and now
when I run the command

(hunchentoot:start <http://www.weitz.de/hunchentoot/#start>
(make-instance 'hunchentoot:easy-acceptor
<http://www.weitz.de/hunchentoot/#acceptor> :port 8080))

it says
#<HUNCHENTOOT:EASY-ACCEPTOR (host *, port 8080)>
and going to <remotehost>:8080/ doesn't display anything.
I hit cntr-z to put it in the background and then

$ lsof -i :8080 and I get

COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE  DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
sbcl    11350 root    5u  IPv4 1816786      0t0  TCP *:http-alt (LISTEN)

I have a feeling it's something simple, like incorrect host variable or a
separate thread being stopped, but I'm having a hard time finding answers
on Google and related documentation. Any suggestions or information on what
that above message means would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff